- Multiple choice questions.
[*]When using measuring cylinder one precaution to be taken is
- Check for zero error
- Look at the meniscus from below the level of the water surface.
- Position the eye in line with the base of the meniscus.
- Obtain more readings by looking from more than one direction.
1. Choose and write the letter of the most correct answer.
(i) A physical quantity that cannot be derived from other physical quantities is known
A. Scalar quantity C. Derived quantity
B. Small quantity D. Base quantity
(ii) A microsecond is equivalent to
- 1/1000 B. 1/10000 C. 1/1,000,000 D. 1/100,000
(iii) 1 milligram is equivalent to
- 1/1,00,000 B. 1/100,000 C. 1/10,000 D. 1/1000
(iv) Express the number 0.000000059 using Scientific notation.
- 5.9 x 10-8 B. 5.9x10-9 C. 5.9x10-7 D. 5.9x10-6
(v) Which of the following physical quantity is not a derived quantity?
A. Temperature C. Speed
B. Acceleration D. Pressure
(vi) Which of the following measurement has the largest value?
- 1.0x102 km C. 1.0x108cm
- 1.0x107mm D. 1.0x1010 um.
(vii) 0.36 litres of water is equivalent to
- 036 cm3 C. 360 m3
- 360 cm3 D. 0.36 m3
(viii) If 0.35 litres of water is mixed with 0.15 litre of mercury, then the density of
the mixture will be
- 14.6g/cm3 C. 7.3 g/cm3
- 4.78 g/l D. 4.78 g/cm3
(ix) An object has a relative density of 7.0. Its density in kg/m3 is
- 7 B. 700 C. 7000 D. 0.7
(x) The force which attracts bodies to the centre of the earth is
A. the centre of gravity C. the centripetal force
B. The equilibrium force D. the gravitational force
2. List the measuring instruments used by the following
(b) Petrol sellers
3. What do you understand by the terms
(a) apparatus © parallax
(b)measurement (d) error
4. The water collected in a measuring cylinder during an experiment using a Eureka can is 30 cm3
. When the object the displaced this volume was dried and weighed, it mass was found to be 90g, Calculate.
- Its density in g/cm3
- Its density in kg/m3
- Its relative density (R.D)
5. (a) Define Density and hence relative density
(b) A block of wood has a mass of 64g and a volume of 80cm3. Calculate.
[*]the density of wood.
(ii) the additional mass that must be placed on the block 20 that it is just submerged
(sink) in water.
[*]A person who deals with study and research in the field of physics is called.
- Physician C. Physicist
- Physikos D. Physiologist
[*]The following are common apparatus used to measure volume in laboratory except.
- Measuring cylinder C. Burette
- Beam balance D. Pipette
[*]Which one is not an instrument for measuring length.
- A ruler C. A micrometer screw gauge
- Vernier calipers D. A balance.
[*]The following are the most factors which enable the breakout of five
- Oxygen, fuel and heat
- Oxygen; carbon dioxide and fuel
- Oxygen, water and heat
- Oxygen, heat sand
[*]A vernier caliper is used to measure
- Distance of a car C. Diameter of a wire
- Mass of a car D. Length of a wire.
[*]Physic is _______________________
SHORT ANSWERS QUESTIONS
- A quantitative science
- An experimental science
- The most basic Science
- A theoretical Science
- Mention three fundamental quantities with their SI mints used in mechanics.
- 3. Mention the laboratory rules used in physics laboratory.
- State any three sources of fire that can occur in physics laboratory.
- (a) What is physics?
(b) What is a physics laboratory?
- (a) List six laboratory rules
(b) Name four items found in a First Aid kit.
What are the four (4) possible hazards in physics laboratory