Before we study algebra, it helps to have a good understanding of the number laws. If you find that you are getting lost in algebra, come back to this chapter for revision.
In this chapter, we learn about:
- Integers (the whole numbers, plus negative whole numbers)
- Number properties (where we learn about imaginary and real numbers, rational and irrational numbers, prime numbers and reciprocals)
- Order of operations (why 3 + 2 × 4 does not equal 20)
- Powers, roots and radicals (indices)
- Approximate numbers (significant digits)
- Scientific notation (for really large and really small numbers)
- Ratio and proportion (comparing two or more quantities)
- Pi is a special number in mathematics.
Download the PDF to read more. Register to discuss and comment!